Sunday, January 23, 2011

Slice of Life #36: Commercialized

A big THANK YOU to Netty
for her story last week.

I have written three versions of
my story, and none of them are
fit for public consumption.

Lots of emotions go into those businesses.
If I ever get it right, I'll post it.

I promise I'll do the award post
this week too. Pinky swear. I went
out of town and forgot. :-O



1984 Oscar Meyer Commercial


We don't watch TV in my house anymore. I got sick and tired of fighting for attention with Cable - so we cut it. We're in year three of no TV (we still do Netflix but I have more control over that), and loving it.

Except, I'm so behind when it comes to commercials. People have to send me links to You Tube to keep me up to date. ;)

This got brought up because while we watched The Learning Channel in the hotel, a commercial came on that I thought was rather crude. Even my husband was disgusted. Then another one came on and we laughed, and it brought up memories of other commercials that we've loved over the years.

And I got to thinking how commercials (& let's not forget the jingles!) have interacted in my life. For instance:

In grade school we did the jump rope and pat-a-cake song from McDonald's:

Big Mac, Fillet-o-fish, Quarter Pounder, French Fries, Icy Cokes, Thick Shakes, Sundaes, and Apple Pies!

In my early married days, we did a birthday scavenger hunt all over town that required finding the clues via commercial jingles for my sister. Can you name the brand that used to sing:

Plop plop, fizz fizz - Oh! What a relief it is!

A school chum used to yell out in the middle of class, "WHERE'S THE BEEF?" Our English teacher would have quite the job getting the titters settled down.

The above commercial is how I learned to spell bologna - in between watching Little House and the Prairie and all the Snoopy specials.

And one of my favorites - my Grandpa's favorite coffee:

I used to run around singing that, just because it made me think of him. :)

I met "Matteress Mac" from Gallery Furniture once. He was running down the street getting his jog and my husband stopped him to get his autograph! LOL!!! His home was also in a Parade of Homes in Houston, and we got to tour it - apparently Gallery Furniture will "SAVE YOU MONEEEEY!" but it also makes Mac a pretty penny. I'm for independent business owners, so Good for him!

Now, it's your turn. You don't have to run down memory lane like me - just pick a commercial that somehow influenced your life. Cereals, bubble-gum, washing detergent, Tang or Kool-aid, Jell-O Pudding Pops, Subaru, toys, Mr. Clean, Detergents, Mr. YUCK (anyone remember him?), Jiffy Lube.... you name it. Television, Theaters (in the black and white days they had commercials and propaganda before the movies - those count), radio, newspapers, magazines... the ads are everywhere, and that's been the way it is for a VERY long time. Let's see how it's influenced a slice of YOUR, or your family's, life. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment