Sunday, January 22, 2012

Slice of Life #84: The Restaurant


My Grandpa had a thing for diners. Until I was around seven-eight years old he lived in Oklahoma and my family lived in Texas. That's when he moved next door.

Those first few years of my life though are filled with memories of traveling back and forth between the states with my parents and grandparents. My grandpa always liked to stop at the diners, and sit on the stools. He'd sit there and talk to the waitresses while waiting for his cup of coffee, then come back and sit with Grandma and I in the booth. If anyone knows I45 at all, you might remember SAM'S - that was Grandpa's favorite. I remember getting lemonade there once.

Fast forward to last night. My husband and I were on a date he suggested we go to Shari's, which is kinda like an Ihop/Denny's kind of place. We like it because the people are very friendly and the owners have taken good care of the place. The food is good, but the pies (and now pie shakes) are DIVINE. As we ate our mozzarella cheese sticks and chatted I was struck at how I seemed to have continued my Grandpa's tradition without knowing it. My husband and I chat with the waiters and waitresses and know all about their kids or broken engagements to where some have gotten to know us by name. It's friendly.

Your prompt this week is to whip out a cup of cocoa and have a piece of pie while writing about a restaurant experience you've had - good or bad. Enjoy! :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi! Came to check in on you and saw my name! That is how I spell it -- at least since Jr. High School when I added an i at the end with a little heart above it. Before that it was just Sherry. (My real name is Sharon.) Anyway, I love diners and I love Diners, Drive-ins and Dives on the Food Channel. Check out http://simplesundaysupper.blogspot.com for a recent entry about Edmond, OK when I was a teenager. My mother went on a cooking strike for about a year. I enjoy your blog and your mom's, too.

    ReplyDelete